a question about multilingual babies

lofa lofa4 at hotmail.com
Mon May 9 19:58:31 UTC 2011

Dear Tamar & Yves,

I was just wondering how long you  were planning to remain in the country
with the 4th language?  how well do you speak that 4th language yourself?
Why didn't you name that 4th language, what's so secret about it, do you
like the culture there? Your perception of languages may affect the way your
child will relate to them.   And does your son look to you like he's
bothered by the present linguistic diversity now, like he's not reacting
like you'd expect him to? You certainly do not have to reply, but it might
help to ask yourself those questions.

I see kids with language delays in France, and true that most of them are
from bi- & tri-lingual families (I'd say 80%), but most of those families
have to deal with situations and most of the mothers did not go to college
(the mother's education matters in case of language delays) and some only
speak French so well.  Most of the time, there is some kind of cultural gap
between France and their cultures.  I think the issue is not bilingualism,
it is biligualism in those situations.

I side with those who say that a kid needs his parents to communicate with
him as much as possible, in the language that they feel is the most
authentic for them.

Kind regards,

Véronique