a question about multilingual babies

Natasha Ringblom natasha.ringblom at slav.su.se
Mon May 30 09:43:06 UTC 2011

Dear Tamar and Yves!

Your question has generated a great deal of discussion among my
students of bilingualism at the University of Uppsala. Thanks a lot
for raising this issue. Below I attach one of the answers of my
students (Olof Pettersson - olofmartinhenry at gmail.com)  who did a
great job going through all the previous answers and comments and at
the same time adding a new perspective.

Hope it will be interesting for you to read and perhaps - even help
making your decision.

Best,

Natasha Ringblom

Dear Tamar and Yves,

I would like to begin by stating that while I don't think your
situation is as complicated as some of the earlier responses make it
out to be, I would say that it is far from without complexity. Most
research on bilingualism seems to focus on bilingual children rather
than tri- or quadrilingual, as is the case with your child. This is
what potentially could make things a little complicated.

                       I feel the need to point out that I do not
agree with those who claim that bilingual first language acquisition
could be disadvantageous to the mental development of children,
causing language delay or even autism. Given the state of the world,
where bilingualism (i. e. a situation where children have been exposed
to more than one language since before they can produce utterances)
has a clear statistical majority over monolingualism, it seems absurd
to claim that multiple language acquisition could be the cause of
impairment of the cognitive abilities of a child. Many of the earlier
that not much more needs to be added about that.

                       Now, something that seems rather crucial to
mention, that I haven't seen in any of the responses so far, is the
notion of a “critical period” for acquisition of language. Most
researchers agree that such a period exists, based on evidence that
the neurological maturation of the brain causes it to lose its initial
plasticity. Such a development has been proven to exist in many other
species, and is typically linked to some art-specific skill (like
flight for birds). In the case of humans, this is supposed to lead to
easier language acquisition before this process is finished. Now,
there is little consensus among the scientific community as to what
age range this period actually applies to. The originally
propositioned end age of 13 has been abandoned, and many researchers
are now speaking of different critical periods for different sections
of language acquisition (i. e. phonology, morphology, syntax etc.).
One thing that most linguists researching early bilingualism however
seem to agree on is that the early years and months are ideal for
learning more than one language with native-like control as ultimate
attainment as goal. Thus I would agree with Bruno (10/5 2011) that it
is important that you make out clear goals for your child, based on
which language you deem to be most likely to be the most instrumental
to him in his future.

                       This brings me to your question about what
language his nursery should be in. Also here you should take into
account what the future might hold for your son, because the
language(s) he learns there is likely to be a strong candidate for
becoming his dominant language, especially if it is the same language
as spoken by the society in which he grows up, or also if it is one of
the languages he hears at home. As Lofa (9/5 2011) writes, and I
agree, the country of residence and your own attitudes towards the
different languages play huge roles in shaping the prerequisites for
your son's language choices. Every little thing that can be associated
with the respective languages is going to be picked up by him, because
in the state of neurologically optimized language-learning he
currently is, he is sensitive to all available input. When choosing
what language you want him to be surrounded by the most, it is also
important to keep in mind that complete multilingualism is very hard
to attain. Most often, multilingual children will end up with a
complete abstract linguistic system, with domain-based proficiency in
each of their different languages. This means that whichever language
your son is most likely to hear in for example the kitchen, is the
language he will most frequently use about kitchen items or activities.

                       Keeping all these things in mind, together with
the answers given earlier, I hope you feel that you are better
equipped to make good choices for your son. I hope I was able to add
something useful.

Olof Pettersson, linguistics student at the University of Uppsala,
Sweden

Olof Pettersson - olofmartinhenry at gmail.com