wireless mic transmitter

Macrae, Toby Toby.MacRae at cci.fsu.edu
Wed Nov 2 20:55:38 UTC 2011

Hi Kim and Friends,

I've been using a Shure wireless microphone system (ULX Professional), which is their second from top of the range. I spoke at length with a Shure technician who said their top of the range system (UHF-R) would be overkill and is very expensive. My system includes a receiver (ULXP4, around $600 from sweetwater.com) and a wireless bodypack transmitter (ULX1, around $200, also from Sweetwater). I suspect that you would need to purchase both the receiver and the transmitter in order for the transmitter to function properly. I can't think that a Shure transmitter would work with another brand of receiver, although I could be wrong. You can always check with the Shure technicians - they are very helpful. (Eugene Buder from the University of Memphis was also a great help.)

Shure does have a smaller transmitter, the UR1M (the ULX1 is a little smaller than a packet of cigarettes, whereas the UR1M is about half the size), but the UR1M is around $1700 and as far as I know, it only works with the UHF-R system. I find the ULX1 works just fine with my 18-36-month-old research participants. I house it in a baby's vest along with a Countryman microphone and I haven't had any problems. Just make sure that, if and when you purchase the transmitter, you purchase one with the same connection to match the Countryman microphone connection. Mine is a TA4F connection.

Let me know if you have any further questions -

Toby Macrae
School of Communication Science and Disorders
The Florida State University