Melissa Bowerman

Yonata Levy msyonata at huji.ac.il
Thu Nov 3 20:57:38 UTC 2011

Both Dan and Magdalena have said it perfectly. Still, how can one just let
it pass
When I met Melissa for the first time, I felt like she was someone to look
at from a distance and admire. Her features, her height, her blond hair,
her tone of voice, the smile on her face. As the years went by we became
friendly, though never really close. Last time I saw her we got both
engaged in an argument with a young person from somewhere. When he left she
said to me: "I feel like the grandmother of language acquisition". and
since current days grand-mothers are young and full of life, it did no
carry any note of warning

Yonata Levy
Jerusalem.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Dan I. Slobin <slobin at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Magdalena has said it perfectly.  I would add a personal comment:  Melissa
> and I were good personal friends and colleagues—ever since 1965.  We
> cherished our memories of being trained by Roger Brown, and we taught,
> researched, and published together on crosslinguistic and cognitive aspects
> of acquisition.  I learned so much from debating and researching with
> her.  Indeed, her persistent presentations to me of argument and evidence
> moved me from a neo-innatist to a neo-Whorfian position.  The Max Planck
> was our intellectual playground, and baroque music was where we wandered
> happily.  We confided in each other and received and gave support through
> the many years, as we followed each other's lives.  And we delighted in
> playing music together—her flute and my piano.  She was a precious
> person, a loyal friend, and an endlessly ingenious, creative, broad, wise,
> and beautiful thinker, researcher, writer, teacher.  I can't begin to
> understand how very much I will miss her.
>
> Dan Slobin, Berkeley
>

> On 11/3/2011 1:09 PM, Magdalena Smoczynska wrote:
>
> I would like to write something about Melissa whom I have known since
> 1975, but it is very difficult to find the right adjectives to describe
> how special she was.
>
> I have spent the entire day trying to find them and finally gave up.
> Crying was much better a choice.
>
> I think she was *the most beautiful person* I have ever met among the
> child language scholars.
>
> Her work and impact in the field will last, but many of us will terribly
> miss her
> thoughtful way of looking at us, her dilligence while looking at her data
> (which made me think of a 12-year-old girl so enthusiastic about her tasks
> but at the same time so genuinely serious), her amused smile which
> sometimes
> inexpectedly turned into a sudden burst of forceful laughter.
> Her openess in sharing her joys and worries with us. Her interest in our
> joys and worries.
> Her grace. And again this incredibly strong low voice laughter.
>
> It does not make sense that such things can simply disappear.
>
> I am sorry I cannot put it in better English.
>
> Magdalena Smoczynska, Krakow
>

> On 3 November 2011 17:02, walesgin <walesgin at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, Melissa was truly a rare intellectual and a genuine and generous
>> person.  I am proud to have been blessed to have had her as mentor and
>> friend.
>>
>> She will be sorely missed.  But her influence will remain pervasive and
>> longstanding in the field.
>>
>> I wish I could join the memorial at BU tomorrow, but my thoughts will
>> definitely be with you all.
>>
>> Ginny Gathercole
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:09 AM, <koc at boun.edu.tr> wrote:
>>
>>> I am also very saddened at Melissa's loss. Her work has been one of the
>>> most
> [...]

 *Prof. Yonata Levy*
*Psychology Department *
*and Hadassah-Hebrew University Medical School*
*Mount Scopus*
*Jerusalem 91905, ISRAEL*
**
*tel:972-2-5883408 (o)*