position for professor in quantitative linguistics

Johanne Paradis johanne.paradis at ualberta.ca
Thu Nov 10 22:52:58 UTC 2011

Professor in Quantitative Linguistics

Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta

Application deadline: 13 January 2012

The Department of Linguistics in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Alberta invites applications for a tenured position in Quantitative Linguistics at the Full Professor level. The successful candidate will be exceptionally well qualified with an outstanding research record in the application of quantitative, statistically-based techniques to the study of language, particularly in the areas of morphosyntax, language processing, and corpus linguistics. Responsibilities will include maintaining an active research program, teaching/supervision in both our undergraduate and graduate linguistics programs, and administrative service.

The Department of Linguistics has a strong commitment to empirical and experimental approaches to linguistic research. The Department consists of eleven full-time, continuing faculty members pursuing research projects in experimental phonetics, phonology, morphosyntax and semantics of Amerindian languages, cognitive linguistics, corpus linguistics, language documentation and revitalization, bilingual 1st and 2nd language acquisition and language impairment, psycholinguistics, computational/historical linguistics, and sociolinguistics. We usually have approximately 40 students in our graduate program at any given time, of which roughly one quarter are pursuing the MSc while the majority are working towards the PhD. More information about the Department can be found at www.linguistics.ualberta.ca.

Established in 1908 as a board-governed, public institution, the University of Alberta has earned the reputation of being one of the best universities in Canada based on our strengths in teaching, research, and services. The University of Alberta serves over 38,000 students in more than 200 undergraduate programs and 170 graduate programs (www.ualberta.ca). The Faculty of Arts is the oldest and most diverse faculty on campus, and one of the largest research and teaching centres in western Canada (www.foa.ualberta.ca). The University’s main campus is located in Edmonton, the vibrant, cosmopolitan capital of the province of Alberta. The Edmonton metropolitan area is the sixth largest in the country with a population of approximately one million. Edmonton is located only a few hours drive from Banff and Jasper National Parks, which offer skiing in winter and excellent hiking and sightseeing in summer.

How to Apply

Applicants should send curriculum vitae, a letter describing their areas of research interest, samples of publications, and, if available, a teaching dossier and evaluations of teaching performance to:

Dr Sally Rice, Interim Chair
Department of Linguistics
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB, CANADA  T6G 2E7
Tel: (780) 492-5500
Fax: (780) 492-0806
Email: sally.rice at ualberta.ca

Applicants must also arrange for three letters of reference to be sent in confidence to the Chair. The closing deadline is 13 January 2012. The effective date of employment will be 1 July 2012. Salary is negotiable and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. If suitable Canadian citizens or permanent residents cannot be found, other individuals will be considered. The University of Alberta hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.

Johanne Paradis | Professor | Department of Linguistics
4-46 Assiniboia Hall | University of Alberta | Edmonton, AB | T6G 2E7 | Canada
tel:	1 (780) 492-0805 | fax:	1 (780) 492-0806 | http://www.ualberta.ca/~jparadis/