semantic pragmatic language impairment

Kirsten Abbot-Smith K.Abbot-Smith at kent.ac.uk
Mon Nov 21 11:10:43 UTC 2011

Hi Veronique,
If you do find any published studies on semantic-pragmatic disorder, pragmatic language impairment or social communication disorder in preschool children, I would be absolutely delighted if you could share this. I'm pretty sure (thanks to much discussion and guidance from Shula Chiat) that this type of label is the best 'fit' for the type of language impairment which my younger son has. He has just turned four and has been diagnosed in the UK as having severe receptive SLI (and he doesn't meet the criteria even for mild ASD according to the particular assessments that were used).

I have found quite a bit of published research on primary-school-age children with pragmatic language impairment. In addition to the names mentioned by other members of infochildes, there is a great deal of research by Cathy Adams at the University of Manchester (some of which is in collaboration with Dorothy Bishop) and Nicola Botting  at City uni (some of which is in collaboration with Gina Conti-Ramsden). But a key difficulty is clearly the changes in language profile with development (see Conti-Ramsden & Botting's (1999) longitudinal follow-up of the Conti-Ramsden, Botting & Crutchley (1997) analysis of sub-groups of SLI). Another interesting study in this regard is one by Law, Tomblin & Zhang (2008 in JSLHR).

The only mention of preschool language profiles for kids with pragmatic langauge impairment which I found so far are:

a) in the description of the clinical histories of two case-study children in a Adams, C. (2001). Clinical diagnostic and intervention studies of children with semantic–pragmatic language disorder. int. j. lang. comm. dis., 2001, vol. 36, no. 3, 289–305

b) in a book used by some speech therapists in the UK called 'Semantic-pragmatic disorder' (Charlotte Firth and Katherine Venkatesh) which is basically a set of developmental checklist (starting in infancy!) as well as a set of intervention ideas for this group of children. I found some of the therapy ideas very useful indeed but was never able to establish what the empirical basis for the developmental checklists was.

All the best,
Kirsten
P.S. I'm sure you've come across Rapin and Allen's (1987) work on this topic?