Definition of pause

Marilyn Vihman marilyn.vihman at york.ac.uk
Mon Nov 21 15:45:54 UTC 2011

Dear Britta,

I can tell you that Fernald et al. 1989 used 300ms pauses to identify
isolated words; we used the same criterion to find isolated words in
adult input to one-year-olds (Vihman et al., 2006 - Lab Phonology).

-marilyn vihman

On 21 Nov 2011, at 11:36, Britta Lintfert wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> for calculating articulation rate excluding pauses for CDS, ADS as
> well
> as children speech, the question arose how long a silence needs to
> be in
> order to be regarded as pause. Has anybody some suggestions?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> --
> Dr. Britta Lintfert
> Institut für Maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung
> Universität Stuttgart
> +49 711 - 685 81372
> http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/~lintfeba

> .

Marilyn M. Vihman
Professor, Language and Linguistic Science
V/C/210, 2nd Floor, Block C, Vanbrugh College
University of York
Heslington
York YO10 5DD
tel 01904 433612