Protections for Research Subjects and Data-Sharing

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Oct 7 02:16:51 UTC 2011

Dear Info-CHILDES,

    Some of you may have already received a message from NIH regarding a request for comments on proposed changes in their policies regarding Human Subjects protection.  Recently Peggy McCardle, Chief of the Child Development and Behavior Branch, sent out a copy of this announcement and I am copying it here.  Earlier, I had provided comments and they did in fact reply to my input.  I said that, in the interest of scientific progress,  it would be important not to impose excessive restrictions on the sharing of data, particularly in the context of this segment of the proposed changes:

"4. Establishment of mandatory data security and information protection standards for all studies that involve identifiable or
potentially identifiable data (Section V);"

Peggy pointed out to me that the more letters they receive on this issue, the more likely that they will respond positively.  Instructions on how to provide input are given in Peggy's letter which is attached.

-- Brian MacWhinney