can bilinguals "replace" monolinguals in experimental data collection?

Bruno Estigarribia brunilda at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 01:33:25 UTC 2011

Hi Susannah, nice to see you here since I can't see you at UNC anymore!

What exactly do you mean by "learn"? That is not only what your acquisition
measure is (à la Radford 1990), but also what does it mean to learn these
structures? How well do adults know them anyway? And what is it exactly that
adults know? With many of these "complex structures", it is far from clear
adults have the clear-cut knowledge syntactic theory adscribes them (the
example that comes to mind is basic binding theory, where adults who have
not been trained in linguistics accept the craziest things--Randy Hendrick
can talk to you about that). I think those are questions that sooner or
later we'll have to answer too.
Another issue is, you talk about learning "structures", but these things are
learned (in my opinion and that of several others who've already posted
here) very piecemeal, lexically-based perhaps. This is a very pressing
question when it comes to "rare" structures. How sure can we be that there
is such a thing as "raising-to-object" as a psychologically realistic
syntactic construct? (I know people on this list will be able to illuminate
that point, on both sides).
Just more things to think about for the bigger picture...
Bruno

Bruno Estigarribia

Assistant Professor of Spanish, Department of Romance Languages and
Literatures

Research Assistant Professor of Psychology, Cognitive Science Program

Investigator, Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities

Dey Hall, Room 332

estigarr at email.unc.edu