Hierarchy of Two-Place Predicates

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Aug 16 16:24:36 UTC 2012

Tom,

     If we are talking about Japanese, I couldn't agree with you more.  Nozomi Tanaka (student at Hawaii) did an (unpublished) search of the
parental input in the Japanese CHILDES database and the amount of case marker deletion, argument omission, and order variation was pretty
stunning.  But a look at the Eve corpus for English shows a very different pattern.  There are still omissions, to be sure, but if an NP (not PP) follows a transitive
verb, it is almost always the object of the verb.  I don't think the English-learning child has to ask whether or not they are learning any particular type of language.
They just see where these nouns are occurring, what their role is, and they make the logical item-based conclusion that objects follow their verbs, whereas agents precede them.
If this cue were as unreliable as you suggest, they would hold off on that conclusion.  In Japanese, they probably do, looking instead for cues from the discourse
or the situation, but also making note of the times when the case markers actually do appear.

--Brian MacWhinney