Hierarchy of Two-Place Predicates

Tom Roeper roeper at linguist.umass.edu
Fri Aug 17 15:09:10 UTC 2012

The nature of what prepositions are overused or swallowed is critically
important.
IN general, relational preps are absorbed (as depend on -=> dependable)
while
referential ones are not.  So in compounds we can convert"made in a
factory" into
"factory-made" but where referentially relevant meaning is involved, then
it cannot
be swallowed:   fell near a tree=>*tree-fell.
  Children do the same---dropping adjunct PP's (I cried stairs) but not for
real
arguments usually: play with Bill [See discussion in my book The Prism of
Grammar].
So it would not be surprising if these forms are spontaneously extended.
     This is, indeed, way beyond the early telegraphic stages where the
first parameters
of word-order and so forth are set.

Tom Roeper

Tom Roeper