Developmental L/SL position at Sheffield

Danielle Matthews danielle.matthews at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Aug 20 19:24:15 UTC 2012

Dear Developmental colleagues

Following an expansion of the psychology department at the University
of Sheffield, we are looking to recruit a L/SL in Developmental
Psychology (see ad below). We are particularly interested in
attracting a colleague who can integrate with our Cognitive
Development group, (see
http://www.shef.ac.uk/psychology/research/groups/developmental). Our
core research on cognition and development draws on expertise in
attention, learning, response selection, memory, language, executive
functioning, and social functioning. These areas are studied in
typically developing children as well as in atypical contexts
(including Williams syndrome, Autism, Prematurity, and Dyslexia). We
conduct experimental studies using a variety of well-established
methods and cutting-edge technological advancements (EEG, infant
eye-tracking, voice recording and automatic analysis systems), so that
we can develop models of the most complex system –  the developing
human.

Within the psychology dept we have 4 dedicated testing rooms,
including an soundproof room, a large open plan office for
postgraduate students and general meetings, a reception area, and two
dedicated parking spaces immediately outside for our participants.
There is a large maternity hospital across the road where we can
recruit participants, a children’s museum next door, and a large
database of families who have agreed to participate in research, as
well as numerous local nurseries and schools.

If you are interested in applying, or know anyone who might be
suitable, please follow the link below for further details.  Informal
enquiries can also be directed to Jane Herbert
(j.s.herbert at sheffield.ac.uk), Danielle Matthews
(danielle.matthews at sheffield.ac.uk) or Dan Carroll
(d.carroll at sheffield.ac.uk).

---
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Developmental Psychology
University of Sheffield -Department of Psychology
Job Reference Number: UOS005009

Faculty: Faculty of Science

Salary: Senior Lecturer: Grade 9 £46,846 - £52,706 per annum, with
potential to progress to £61,078 per annum

Grade 8

£37,012 to £44,166 per annum, with potential to progress to £49,689 per
annum

Closing Date: 4 September 2012

You will join a vibrant department, which is amongst the largest in
the UK, and which has been consistently ranked as one of the
outstanding research departments in all six UK Research Assessment
Exercises to date. We have one of the largest centres of postgraduate
psychology research in the country and were ranked 7th overall by the
Independent Complete University Guide league table.

We are looking for an outstanding scholar in the area of Developmental
Psychology who can help us continue to build on, and extend, our
success in research and teaching. This opportunity follows closely on
the heels of a major investment in new academic staff across the
discipline which we have just completed in the Department of
Psychology. We see these new appointments as an exciting opportunity
for the Department to strengthen its leading position in preparation
for the forthcoming REF.

Applicants will hold a PhD (or equivalent qualification) in a relevant
discipline, together with an excellent publication record for their
career stage. Applicants for Lecturer will be expected to exhibit
outstanding academic potential, and applicants for Senior Lecturer
will demonstrate substantial external reputation in the field,
evidenced by the obtaining of independent research funding/significant
personal distinction in scholarship and research with evidence of
international excellence.  Further information about each of our
research themes is available at:

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/psychology/research

The posts are available from 1st January 2013.

To apply for this job please follow this link
(
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AEY299/lecturer-senior-lecturer-in-developmental-psychology
)
or to view current vacancies and apply online please go to:
www.sheffield.ac.uk/jobs.

--

Danielle Matthews
Department of Psychology