postdoc

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Aug 24 19:29:12 UTC 2012

Postdoctoral Position in Gesture Research at University of Alberta

A postdoctoral position in gesture research is available in the Department of Psychology at the University of Alberta, working with Dr. Elena Nicoladis and Dr. Paula Marentette. This project is focused on understanding the relationship between gesture comprehension and language acquisition. We are particularly interested in the acquisition of verbs. We encourage candidates interested in cross-linguistic experimental work with both monolingual and bilingual speakers. Knowledge of a language other than English is an asset. Applications from candidates with research training in psycholinguistics, bilingualism, cognitive science, linguistics, or developmental psychology will be particularly well suited for this position. Postdoctoral responsibilities will include contributing to our ongoing research program as well as taking the lead on research projects within that program. In addition, the person in this position will have the opportunity to work with the research programs of graduate and undergraduate students associated with the lab.

The position, funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, is available for one year, with the possibility of renewal for a second year. Interested applicants should send a letter describing their research interests and a curriculum vitae, and arrange to have three letters of recommendation sent to: Elena Nicoladis (elenan at ualberta.ca). Ideally the position would commence by June 2013, although this is negotiable. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.