call for papers: 16th Rencontres Jeunes Chercheurs - Models and Modeling in Language Sciences: Paris, 30-31 May 2013

Gao Jiayin gao.lpp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 23:54:19 UTC 2012

Dear colleague,

We would like adding our call for papers on your site. We organize a
symposium at the University Sorbonne Nouvelle for junior researchers:

* 16th Rencontres Jeunes Chercheurs - Models and Modeling in Language
Sciences: Paris, 30-31 May 2013*

Created in 1998, the Rencontres Jeunes Chercheurs (RJC) of the Doctoral
School 'Langage et langues' (ED 268, Sorbonne Nouvelle University - Paris
3) is an opportunity for junior researchers preparing for a Master's degree
or a Doctorate, but also for post-doctorates, to present their work in
paper or poster sessions.

*MODELS AND MODELING IN LANGUAGE SCIENCES
*How do we grasp the variety of reality without trying to establish a
structure and formulate rules supposed to explain or describe the way it
works? How do we understand a phenomenon without first trying to conceive
its possible operations? Even if the use of an abstract framing is not
always enough for comprehending a given linguistic phenomenon,
psychological process or cognitive strategy, the construction and
utilisation of models often appears necessary – just as it is necessary to
question and revise existing models, in order to apprehend ever more finely
grained phenomena.

Because of the varied disciplines grouped under the heading “language
sciences”, the very word “model” is to be understood in different senses.
For instance, the psycholinguist proposing a model to account for the
psycho-cognitive process of the reader does not conceive the model in the
same way as the semiotician speaking about the “model reader” (Eco, 1979).
In the same way syntactic models have different functions in natural
language processing and in descriptive linguistics.

The many approaches of the varied disciplines lead to question regarding
not only the notion of “model” but also the activity of modeling linguistic
data, depending on descriptive, explanatory or predictive purposes. Thus,
the various definitions of “model” are of interest, together with their
application, their transdisciplinary potentialities and their possible
transformations.

The questions of the relevance and limits of these models are also of
interest, as is the issue of the very notion of “model”. According to the
different approaches adopted by researchers, the model can be considered as
a necessity, or an obstacle, as a sign of rigor or as a scientific bias. Is
it a theoretical restraint into the empirical data must fit in with? Or is
it an abstract construction required to understand the dynamics and
functioning of a any given phenomenon or linguistic fact?

2013 RJC invites participants to contribute to the reflection about
conceiving, using, questioning and revising models in language sciences.

We particularly welcome presentations in the following fields:
First and second Language acquisition, discourse analysis, anthropological
linguistics, language and culture pedagogy, history of linguistic ideas,
general linguistics, historical and compared linguistics, morphology,
neurolinguistics, phonetics, phonology, pragmatics, psycholinguistics,
rhetoric, semantics, semiotics, sociolinguistics, syntax
- NLP, translation studies, linguistic typology.

*Deadline for abstract submission: January 14th 2013*

*Contact: rjc.ed268.p3 at gmail.com*

*More details on: www.univ-paris3.fr/rjc2013*

Best regards,

Jiayin Gao