Temple Infant and Child Lab Summer Internship

Max Freeman max.freeman at temple.edu
Wed Jan 11 15:06:25 UTC 2012

*Summer Internship: Temple University Infant and Child Lab*

Are you interested in exploring psychology beyond class work? Do you want
to go to graduate school? Do you want hands-on experience with cutting-edge
research?

If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then the Temple University
Infant and Child Lab might be a great place for you to spend your summer
vacation!

*Who we are:*

The Temple Infant and Child Lab, directed by Professors Kathy Hirsh-Pasek
and Nora Newcombe, conducts research on language acquisition, parent-child
play interactions, spatial learning, and memory development both in theory
and application.  We ask such questions as how do children learn their very
first words? What contexts help children learn? When do certain spatial
abilities develop?  Exploring these types of research questions helps both
parents and professionals better understand learning and development in
infants and young children.

*About the internship:*

We are currently looking for bright, energetic students who are eager to
peer into the world of children and developmental psychology. These student
interns will receive hands-on experience in every step of the research
process.  Duties include recruiting participants, helping design and create
experimental stimuli, running participants, and coding and analyzing
data.  Each
intern will also be paired with a graduate student mentor who will guide
the intern with readings and serve as a resource for questions about
research and graduate school.

In addition to the spectacular experience, we may be able to offer 4 credit
hours or possibly an honorarium of $1,000 to qualified applicants. There is
also a specific recruitment effort for underrepresented minority students.

*Requirements:*

(1)  Applicants are majors in psychology or related fields.

(2)  Applicants must have basic computer skills.

(3)  Applicants must be reliable and able to commit to 20-30 hours/week for
8 weeks between June and August 2012.

*To apply:*

If you are interested in this opportunity, please send the following to our
lab coordinator, Melissa Hansen, (melissa.hansen at temple.com):

(1) Intern Application from our website under “Intern/Jobs”:
http://www.temple.edu/infantlab/

(2) A resume indicating your academic and volunteer experiences
(2) Your availability during the summer (e.g., number of hours per week)

Applications must be submitted by Friday, March 16th, 2012.  Late
applications will only be considered if positions remain open.

*Any questions?*

Please contact Melissa Hansen, Lab Coordinator at (267) 468-8610 or
melissa.hansen at temple.edu.  Additional information about our lab can also
be found on our website: http://www.temple.edu/infantlab/