Antwerp CHILDES mirror is up!

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sun Mar 11 00:14:00 UTC 2012

Dear Info-CHILDES,
    Thanks to the hard work of Joris Gillis and additional moral support from Steven Gillis, there is now a fully functioning mirror of the CHILDES site in Antwerp at http://www.cnts.ua.ac.be/childes/.  This site continually mirrors all of the pages of the Pittsburgh site along with all of the transcripts and media.
    Having this mirror available provides an important backup for the system lest something unforeseen and catastrophic occur in Pittsburgh or even if we just make some silly mistake.  Of course, we keep multiple backups of data, but having a complete online mirror provides a very different level of protection.  Also, if the Pittsburgh site is occasionally down, people can access the Antwerp site and sometimes it may also prove to be more responsive, depending on network topography.
    At the moment, all of the pages and transcripts are available.  Not all of the media are yet in place, but they will be there soon.
    I would like to stress that Joris has provided this mirror and the various scripts upon which it depends on a strictly volunteer basis.  Many thanks to him for providing this service and to Steven for his moral support.

-- Brian MacWhinney, CMU