How idiosyncratic are 2-3 year olds' vocabularies?

Miguel Pérez Pereira miguel.perez.pereira at usc.es
Tue Nov 20 11:10:35 UTC 2012

Dear Elena,
Anne Peters studied the use of idiosyncratic terms by one blind child (Seth). She found that  Seth invented quite a number of idiosyncratic words (20 words) between 15 and 19 months of age. Since this information comes from Ann's personal communication, you may ask her to give you detailed information.
Best regards
El 20/11/2012, a las 00:47, Elena Nicoladis escribió:

> Dear colleagues,
> I'm trying to find some sort of quantification of how idiosyncratic children aged 2-3 years are in terms of vocabulary. Has anyone, for example, attempted something as foolhardy as calculating the average percentage of words shared by all/most/some preschoolers??
>
> Any leads would be much appreciated.
> Elena
>
> --
> Elena Nicoladis
>
> "Since all the sciences, and especially psychology, are still immersed in such tremendous realms of the uncertain and the unknown, the best that any individual scientist, especially any psychologist, can do seems to be to follow his own gleam and his own bent, however inadequate they may be. In fact, I suppose that actually this is what we all do. In the end, the only sure criterion is to have fun."
> Edward Tolman

Miguel Pérez Pereira
Departamento de Psicoloxía Evolutiva e da Educación
Universidade de Santiago de Compostela
157802 Santiago de Compostela
Spain
miguel.perez.pereira at usc.es