how idiosyncratic are children?

Philip Dale dalep at unm.edu
Wed Nov 21 03:44:56 UTC 2012

I am attaching the paper I mentioned yesterday about a quantitative measure of typicality in children's vocabularies (or inventories of gestures), independent of the size of vocabulary. I hope you will find it useful.
At the time, we developed a program to compute this measure from Excel files that contained item-level data from the CDI (one row per individual, a column for each item). It was developed for research purposes, with the idea that later a more user-friendly version for distribution might be developed, but that never happened. However, the logic is explained in enough detail in the paper that an experienced database programmer should not have much difficulty preparing such a program.

Thanks to all who have written expressing interest. I'd love to hear if someone picks this up and runs (or even walks, or crawls) with it.

Philip Dale
Speech & Hearing Sciences
University of New Mexico