Calculating speech rate with Kideval?

Julie julie729 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 21:56:30 UTC 2013

Hello,
I am a speech language pathology graduate student at University of
Maryland. For my master's thesis, I am looking at voice onset time in
speech to infants and to adults. One factor which is known to effect VOT is
speech rate, so I am looking for a way to calculate this using a program in
Clan. I noticed that when I ran Kideval, the output included columns for
"Dur Words", "Dur Utts", "Dur Time (sec)", "Words/Time", and "Utts/Time". I
was wondering if anyone could explain what is going into each of these
columns, and how they are each being calculated. I am assuming "Dur Time
(sec)" is the total time in seconds of all the bullets for a particular
tier, and that Words/Time and Utts/Time are just the total number of
words/utterances divided by the total time. I cannot figure out was "Dur
Words" and "Dur Utts" contains.

My other concern is that in the transcripts I am using there are often long
periods of silence or activity with no talking that have been coded as MOT:
0 [=! silence] or MOT: 0 [=! moving toys], etc. My question is, will these
bullets be included in the total duration for the mother? If so, is there a
way to exclude them? I would guess maybe the easiest thing to do would be
to just change the tier name since I am only concerned with the mother's
speech rate.

If anyone has used kideval for rate calculations before and has any input,
I would really appreciate it!

Thank you,
Julie Sampson