tense and clitics in Romance languages

Aude Laloi a.laloi at uva.nl
Wed Apr 24 07:37:17 UTC 2013

Dear all

I have a question concerning differences in acquisition/accuracy rate between grammatical constructions in (a)typical child learners.

In French, children with and without language disorders seem to perform better in terms of accuracy on past tense as opposed to object clitics. However, to my knowledge, the question as to why object ciltics would be more difficult/vulnerable than past tense in French has not been thoroughly addressed.
Does anyone know whether this discrepancy between tense and object clitics has been observed in (a)typical learners of any other (Romance) languages?

I have my own ideas but would like to hear explanations from others as to why this is  the case.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Aude
Aude Laloi
Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Laboratoire de psychopathologie et processus de santé
Université Paris Descartes
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/a.laloi/