fun things kids say as first class attention grabbers

walesgin walesgin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 15:35:42 UTC 2013

You can also find many examples in my chapter in the Bowerman festschrift
volume.  Here are just a few randomly selected examples, from my daughter
and grandchildren:

Rachel:

 R:  Who’s the marveloust cat in the world?

M:What? [not knowing if there’s a /t/ at end]

[R repeats above 2 times].

M: What?

R:Who’s the best ( marveloust) cat in the world?

[M asks R to say it slowly].

[R says slowly 3 times, last time: ]

R: Who is the mar—ve—lous—t cat in the world? 5;5.17

Sadie:

[Sadie on toilet:] I think I’m gonna use up a gallon of that toilet paper!
4;2.2

Saul:

(36) Saul 4;11.12

S: You have 10 fingers and I have 10.

M: So who has more?

S: You.

M: I have more?

S: Yes, because yours are bigger. I mean just look at them!

Sadie:

V: [on phone to S, near Christmas time] Did you put up a Christmas tree?

S:  No. We put a tree in the house.

3;5.26

Sadie:

S: I so wish we could get that thing out of my butt!

M: The poop?

S: Yeah!

3;1.21

Sadie:

How old I am is S-A-D-I-E. My name is S-A-D-I-E. 3;2.14

Sadie:

[V sent Sadie package full of hair clips at Halloween time. Sadie
mentioning how much fun it was to open up the package:]

It was so much fun. It was 20 fun! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13,
14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20. It takes a long time to get to 20.  3;4.8

Is everybody as tired as I am? I’m 150 tired…I’m 199 tired. 3;9.22

You’re very lucky. You’re 20 hundred and 750 lucky. 3;9.24

[V and Sadie discussing how Sadie was “lost” at a park one time:]

V: But Sadie wasn’t worried. Not one teensy bit.

S: Not even 2. Not even 3. Not even 4. Not even 5…bit. 3;9.24

For more examples and explanations, see:

Gathercole, Virginia C. Mueller.   2010.  "It was so much fun.  It was
*20*fun!"  Cognitive and linguistic invitations to the development of
scalar
predicates.  In V. C. M. Gathercole (Editor), *Routes to language: Studies
in honor of Melissa Bowerman*.   N.Y.: Psychology Press, Taylor & Francis.
319-443.

V. C. Mueller Gathercole
Professor of Linguistics
Florida International University