fun things kids say as first class attention grabbers

Morgan, James james_morgan at brown.edu
Wed Aug 21 18:19:54 UTC 2013

Hi Bruno,

In addition to other things, I like to tell the following story about my
daughter:

When my daughter was 19 months old, her productive vocabulary consisted of
four words: "mama", "dada", "yaya" (gloss 'doll'), and "wawa" (gloss
'dog'). She was far below age norms (and parental expectations!), and we
were beginning to worry about possible language delay.

Fast forward four short months: on the way out of the pediatrician's office
following her 2-year-old check-up, she turned to me and said (not her first
sentence by any means, but a particularly memorable one), "You know, Dad,
what I like about going to the doctor's office is getting to play with all
of the toys in the waiting room."

I use this anecdote showing developmental change as a springboard into
discussion of any number of topics: rapidity and uneven tempo of
development, individual differences in development, differences between
production and comprehension, dangers in basing accounts of acquisition
exclusively on production data, and so forth.

Best,
  Jim

James Morgan
Professor
Cognitive, Linguistic & Psychological Sciences