fun things kids say as first class attention grabbers

Nan Bernstein Ratner nratner at umd.edu
Fri Aug 23 15:34:10 UTC 2013

My daughter produced  a few nuggets between 1-2 years – she was a bit precocious:
Pick you up me (presumably hearing “do you want me to pick you up?” often, so that it became a single verb
I do it Jamieself

Just shy of 3, she produced a great slip: the cooken is chicked for the chicken is cooked, which did make me wonder about the morphological status of the –en.

Nan Bernstein Ratner, CCC, F-ASHA
Professor and Chairman
Department of Hearing and Speech Sciences
Faculty, Neuroscience and Cognitive Science (NACS)
Faculty, Language IGERT
University of Maryland
0100 Lefrak Hall
College Park,  MD 20742