Some Spanish and English examples from developing bilinguals

Carmen Silva-Corvalan csilva at usc.edu
Fri Aug 23 17:11:46 UTC 2013

Hi Bruno:

Here are some exx., Spanish and English, from developing bilinguals, that I’ve excerpted from my book (in press; Cambridge tells me it’ll be out in Jan. 2014 ("Bilingual Language Acquisition: Spanish and English in the first six years.")
               (the link for information is
http://www.cambridge.org/us/search?iFeelLucky=false&currentTheme=Academic_v1&query=Carmen+Silva-Corval%C3%A1n )

The examples illustrate different phenomena. Do email me if you have questions. Apologies for the layout. This is my first message to the list. I wanted to just "post it" but I think that attempt failed.

 (66) G: What’s on your mind now?     [N talking with his grandpa]
           N: Which mind?  (2;10.22)
            G: What are you trying to get?

(148)  [N doesn’t want to tell a story]

 N: Porque estoy muy cansado para un cuento. Tengo la voz, la boca cansada.  (3;9)
      ‘Because I’m very tired for a story. I have my voice, my mouth tired.’

(151) N: Bibi, cómbete con tu cepillo.  (2;7.25)  [from comb, instead of péinate]
              ‘Bibi, comb-yourself with your brush.’

(160) B: La Navidad está ahora over.  (2;10)  [from ‘to be over’, terminar in Spanish]
              ‘Christmas is now over’

(172) N: Prende el agua, papi.  (1;10.22)
            ‘Turn on the water, daddy.’

(187) C: Había una vez dos niños-
         B: No, Bibi, no dos niños, un niño y una niña.  (2;6.11)

(178) Paraphrasis and metaphor. Bren and I are playing with legos.  (B, 4;5)

         B: ¿Sabes, Bibi, ese camión verde?
               ‘You know, Bibi, that green truck?’
        C: ¿De la basura?
             ‘For trash?’
        B: El camión verde que lleva soldados.  [that is, un tanque ‘a tank’]
             ‘The green truck that carries soldiers.’
        C: ¡Ah, el tanque!
              ‘Ah! The tank!
         B: Sí, el tanque.
             ‘Yes, the tank.’
         B: Le cortaron la trompa a ese camión verde.  [trompa ‘trunk’ for ‘cannon’]
             ‘They cut the trunk of that green truck.’
        C: La trompa; you mean ‘el cañón del tanque’?
             ‘The trunk; you mean ‘the cannon of the tank’?’
        B: Sí; el cañón por donde tiran esa bola, ese cannon ball.
             ‘Yes; the cannon from where they throw that ball, that cannon ball.’