Elicited imitation paradigm

Evan Kidd evan.kidd at anu.edu.au
Mon Mar 11 02:30:09 UTC 2013

Dear Liam, Brian, and list members,

I have conducted a fair bit of research using elicited imitation in first language acquisition, and have found it to be a very sensitive measure. I think it's important to use contrasting conditions controlled for word length (e.g., active versus passive) - finding (predicted) differences across conditions goes a long way to placate reviewers, since a mere "parrot effect" predicts children would perform equally across conditions. Systematic errors often show that children are comprehending the sentences themselves (e.g., I have found that children find it difficult to repeat some types of object relative clauses, but that their errors often suggest that that they interpreted the sentence correctly by assigning the correct thematic roles).

Finally, you might like to check out an in press paper from my lab, which shows that elicited imitation predicts 4-6-year-old children's comprehension of non-canonical sentences (passives & object RCs) over and above both phonological short-term memory and complex working memory span. The ref is:

Boyle,W., Lindell, A., & Kidd, E. (in press). Investigating the role of verbal working memory in young children's sentence comprehension. Language Learning.

It's available on Early View, but if you don't have access to the paper email me and I'll send a re-print.

Best,

Evan