thanks

Roberta Golinkoff Roberta at udel.edu
Sat Oct 19 17:46:03 UTC 2013

Thank you Brian. You have had a huge impact on the field and we all very
much appreciate that CHILDES exists.
Roberta Golinkoff

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Brian MacWhinney <macw at cmu.edu> wrote:

> Dear Info-CHILDES,
>
>      I would like to thank all of you who submitted letters of support for
> the NIH CHILDES renewal proposal. We received 144 letters stretching
> providing 292 pages of documentation of the use of CHILDES programs and
> data.  This was the strongest set of letters for any of the CHILDES
> proposals over the last 28 years, and it is great testimony to the value of
> the community data in CHILDES and the health of the field of child language.
>
> In the course of writing the proposal, I found that Google provides a
> great method for tracking the use of CHILDES data.  If one just goes to
> scholar.google.com and searches for "Brian MacWhinney" and then looks up
> the four core papers documenting the system (which people were asked to
> cite), you can find all of the literature that used CHILDES.  Using this
> method, I learned the following.
>
> Since 1987, the productivity of the project in terms of articles published
> in a given year has increased each year.  There are now well over 6000
> articles based in whole or part on the use of CHILDES data. One can find
> 863 citations of MacWhinney and Snow (1985<#141d1d28da80ae0d_141d1c50c56539e1__ENREF_36>
> ), 473  citations of MacWhinney and Snow (1990<#141d1d28da80ae0d_141d1c50c56539e1__ENREF_37>
> ), 1427 citations of MacWhinney (1991<#141d1d28da80ae0d_141d1c50c56539e1__ENREF_29>
> ) and 2259 citations of MacWhinney (2000<#141d1d28da80ae0d_141d1c50c56539e1__ENREF_30>
> ). Because Google does not thoroughly index non-English publications,
> this total of 5022 citations is missing many of the publications in other
> languages that use CHILDES.  A more accurate count would be close to 6500.
> A graph of the number of articles published each year (non-cumulative)
> shows a continual straight-line slope of increasing productivity with a few
> dozen articles published each year during the early years and 250-300
> published per year in recent years.
>
> I have finished writing the proposal.  If you are curious about what we
> hope to do in the next five years, you can download the proposal from
> http://talkbank.org/3strategy.pdf   And once the United States of America
> gets a government again, I may even be able to submit the proposal!
>
> Best,
>
> -- Brian MacWhinney
>

> ****

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/info-childes/74B9FCC7-4F31-4AA6-9710-E77F5DE9B2A2%40cmu.edu
> .

Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph. D.
Unidel H. Rodney Sharp Professor
School of Education and Departments of Psychology and Linguistics and
Cognitive Science
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716
Office: 302-831-1634; Fax: 302-831-4110
Web page: http://udel.edu/~roberta/
Author of "A Mandate for Playful Learning in Preschool: Presenting the
Evidence" (Oxford)
    http://www.mandateforplayfullearning.com/
Please check out our doctoral program at
http://www.udel.edu/education/graduate/index.html
The late Mary Dunn said, "Life is the time we have to learn."