CDI norming database now publicly available

Philip Dale dalep at unm.edu
Mon Oct 28 18:30:55 UTC 2013

MacArthur-Bates Communicative Development Inventory norming database now
publicly available

The norming study for the CDI instruments was one of the first large-sample
studies of early language development. The data have proven highly useful
for both clinical and research purposes. There have been two primary formats
for those data. The norms provided in the Fenson, Marchman, Thal, Dale,
Reznick & Bates (2007) MacArthur-Bates Communicative Development
Inventories: User's Guide and Technical Manual - Second Edition aggregate
across words (or grammatical items, or gestures) to provide a reliable and
valid index of individual children's development relative to their gender
and age. Alternatively, data can be aggregated across children for
individual words, grammatical items, or gestures to provide information on
the development of individual items. These data are available on the CLEX
website http://www.cdi-clex.org  along with comparable data from an
ever-growing set of other languages (10 to this point). However, for still
other research questions, investigators will need data at the most basic
level, that is, responses for individual children on individual items. On a
number of occasions we have made the entire dataset available to researchers
on an individual basis, but we realize that others might find it of use now,
and in the future.

For this reason, and to mark the 25th anniversary of the work of the CDI
Advisory Board, we have decided to place the entire norming dataset in the
public domain, in the CHILDES system.  This dataset, available in both SPSS
and Excel formats, is that used for the 2007 revised User's Guide and
Technical Manual, and is expanded relative to the original dataset, with the
goal of being more representative of the population of the US. The total
sample size is 2550 children. Users should read carefully the relevant
section of the User's Guide (pp 50-56) to understand exclusion criteria,
measures, and other issues for defining appropriate samples. The files may
be found at http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/tools/CDI/

We are especially pleased to take this step in honor of the memory of our
colleague, friend and inspiration Elizabeth Bates. Liz was deeply committed
to the public exchange of instruments, data, theories and ideas. We hope
that the availability of these data will contribute to ongoing discussions
and development of our understanding of early language development.

The CDI Advisory Board

Larry Fenson, Chair

Dorthe Bleses

Philip Dale