MLU in syllables?

Shanley Allen shanley at bu.edu
Mon Sep 9 21:24:59 UTC 2013

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to calculate MLU in syllables for any language, or knows of any study like this. I'm working with an SLP colleague to devise tests that would be suitable for assessing language delay in Inuktitut. The target user group is pediatricians who don't know Inuktitut well enough to do a morphological analysis, but want to use measures that are appropriate for the language. This idea seems a little crazy, but our preliminary results show that MLU in syllables correlates very highly with MLU in morphemes in Inuktitut data, so it might just work.

Thanks in advance,
Shanley Allen.