trilingualism

Barbara Z. Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Wed Sep 25 14:56:32 UTC 2013

Dear Leher,
I just looked at some interesting, more recent, work looking at criteria for amounts of exposure (although not necessarily minimal amounts) by Ann Fernald's lab, and I recently cited Hoff et al. (2012), Gathercole (2002), Thordardottir (2006), Peña et al. (many), and Barreña et al. (2008) on this question. How old are your participants?! None of these studies touch the very unresolved issue of what levels of functional use and fluency count as speaking a language at a given time in a person's life.

For a rule of thumb, I thought Janet Werker for many years used 30% as a minimum for inclusion in her studies.  That, at least, has the practical advantage that one could divide 100% by three and still come out with a reasonable number.

We're very interested in what you decide, and as Erika suggests, how you decide to calculate it.

Cheers,

Barbara Pearson