Help: let them speak or sign their language

Roberta Golinkoff Roberta at udel.edu
Fri Feb 28 13:54:06 UTC 2014

I find your eloquent insights very helpful Gisela as I am struggling with
this issue myself because of our local situation. It makes sense to have
children become bilingual in sign and spoken language and recent research
shows that it is useful to have it begin early, even before cochlear
implants can occur (Davidson paper) as exposure to a symbolic system is
important.

I like the way you describe what takes place in Germany.  There is no
mention, in what you write, of turning off children's CI's to teach sign or
of routinely offering CI kids the services of an SLP.  For CIs to work,
kids need massive language input to make up for the time when they had no
input. The attached paper suggests that parental involvement of specific
types makes a big difference in kids' outcomes and that families can be
helped to provide the quality of language that children with CIs need.

For people just breaking into this area, I attach a document that gives
citations and that offers some "facts". However, in that document there is
the claim - based on a presentation and not publications - that sign is
hurtful to kids. I don't know this work and wonder if anyone does:

Recent data indicates that introducing sign language prior to cochlear
implantation does not enhance outcomes compared to emphasis on spoken
language alone.

Nittrouer, S. (2008). Outcomes for children with hearing loss: Effects of
age of ID, sign support, and auditory prosthesis. A presentation to the
National Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Conference, New Orleans,
LA.

Recent data indicates that use of sign language was detrimental for the
development of spoken langauge for children identified with hearing loss
after their first birthday. It further indicates that it is detrimental to
the development of spoken language in the control group of typically
hearing children.

Nittrouer, S. (2008). Outcomes for children with hearing loss: Effects of
age of ID, sign support, and auditory prosthesis. A presentation to the
National Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Conference, New Orleans,
LA.

Thanks all for this great thread!
Best, Roberta

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:39 AM, Gisela Szagun <gisela.szagun at googlemail.com