Fwd: IASCL Amsterdam 2014 plus Keith related note on Children & Nature

Keith Nelson k1n at psu.edu
Mon Jul 28 18:42:59 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Keith Nelson <keithnelsonart at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Subject: IASCL Amsterdam 2014 plus Keith related note on Children & Nature
To: info-childes at googlegroups.com, Keith Nelson <keithnelsonart at gmail.com>

HI all.   The Amsterdam conference for sure shows growth in our field, and
it was a rich and interesting meeting.  Thanks to all who set it up so
nicely, and to after-notes.

     Many of you know that I have long been interested in basic science
translations to more effective language interventions.

     A more recent, partly related interest is in communications and
interventions that may help children develop awareness and knowledge of
Nature and to develop attitudes and actions that may help preserve and
improve the Natural Environment.   Please share with me any of your own
efforts or efforts by those outside our field who may have completed
projects, books, videos and so on related to these topics that you have
found valuable.  Future work might get sophisticated, we can hope, in
adapting materials and projects to the current language skills of child
participants.

     Among my own modest work in this area is a paperback and eBook
versions of the book, "Children, Pelicans, & Planets: Bobcat Magic"
(Available through epubbud.com  and Amazon.com).   A brief sense of the
nature of this book can be gleaned from the note below.

     All the best,  Keith Nelson

*Children, Pelicans, Planets: Bobcat Magic    *by   Keith E. Nelson

keithnelsonart at gmail.com

Super Impact Images Press

Surprise, delight, and amazement may await you as a reader of these
chapters.  In addition it is anticipated that in multiple ways these
stories of Nature exploration and the beautiful photos of Nature will
create some restlessness in many readers, some itches toward actions that
increase their own contacts with nature and the quantity and quality of
their children's participation with nature.  Of course, you and different
readers will enter the book with different frames of experience and will
carry from it varied kinds and degrees of new awareness.  Each of you will
absorb the many reflections offered in these excursions into nature and
will go beyond them to their own. Among the likely impacts of *Children,
Pelicans, and Planets: Bobcat Magic* on readers and in turn on their
friends and children are these--

·      Setting aside more time to enter nature

·      Heightened attention to details in a wide range of contexts

·      New awareness of the potential for the seemingly familiar to
surprise, reorient, and touch us

·      Feeling the threads of how nurturing the planet resonates with
nurturing our children

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Virginia Valian <vvvstudents at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Brian Macwhinney and I and our teams have compiled information on the
> number of presentations and presenters at IASCL conferences from 1981
> to 2014.  As you will see, there are (too) many columns that are
> missing information.  If you can provide any of the missing
> information, please do let me know so we can update this.
>
> The 1981 conference in Vancouver had 122 abstracts.  The 2014
> conference in Amsterdam had 574.  The field has indeed increased!
>
> We hope that this information about the growing size of the field may
> be useful when you are making requests for support of any sort,
> whether through funding agencies or within your institution.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> VVV
>
> --
> Virginia Valian
> Distinguished Professor, Hunter College and CUNY Graduate Center
> Psychology, Linguistics, Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences,
> Co-Director, Hunter College Gender Equity Project
> Director, Language Acquisition Research Center
> email:  vvvstudents at gmail.com
>
> http://maxweber.hunter.cuny.edu/psych/faculty/valian/valian.htm
> http://littlelinguist.hunter.cuny.edu/
> http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/genderequity/