phonological awareness measures

Philip Dale dalep at unm.edu
Wed Jun 4 16:44:35 UTC 2014

I'm wondering if there are any phonological awareness tests that have been adapted to languages other than the original one, with success in terms of validity. A group of researchers at the University of Southern Denmark has developed a comprehensive test of Danish for children between 3 and 7, and is now norming and validating the measure. Validating the phonological awareness portion of the measure is particularly challenging, as we are not aware of a normed and validated measure of phonological awareness in Danish to use as the criterion variable. One possibility would be to adapt an existing measure to Danish for this purpose, but it would be reassuring to know that the test has been previously adapted for other languages. Alternatively, we would be interested in suggestions of other procedures for validating such a test in the absence of an established criterion variable.
With thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Philip S. Dale, Professor
Speech & Hearing Sciences
University of New Mexico