Idiom comprehension in child language

Tom Roeper roeper at linguist.umass.edu
Thu Jun 5 13:44:40 UTC 2014

Hi folks--

just to mention a couple of things--an example I just heard:
     "I know a shortcut"
     "well, I know a shorter cut"
and cases like "you're a slowpoke, but I'm a fastpoke".

I wrote a paper on idioms with Zvi Penner that appears
in the volume for Jüregen Weisenborn by Mouton--it
relates to complex sentences.

  Work by Ellen Winner on Metaphor seems pertinent
to children's comprehension of them.  A child with
a stomache who said"
       "there's a fireengine in my stomach"
or a child with a stuffed nose who said:
       "there's paint in my nose".

Deviations from compositionality can still be logically
motivated.

Tom Roeper

Tom Roeper
Dept of Lingiustics