list of common words

walesgin walesgin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 18:24:29 UTC 2014

I asked my colleague Hans Stadthagen-Gonzalez about this, and he replied
with the following, which may be of some help:

I don’t know of any list of 3000 words per se, but there are several word
frequency corpora that could easily be used for this. Out of the top of my
head,  CELEX or the British National Corpus (BNC) are widely used and each
has a very large sample but are both for British English. A good
alternative for American English is Brysbaert’s SubtlexUS, which is based
on movie subtitles and has been shown to explain a large portion of
variance in word recognition (in other words, it’s a good sample). You can
find more info here:expsy.ugent.be/subtlexus/

If you need frequency counts for particular age groups, there’s the
Educator’s Word Frequency Guide, which is stratified by school grade and
based on reading materials from Kindergarten through 12+ grade.

Going back to the question, I would not frame it in terms of 3K words and
whatever is not on the list is considered “rare”, but in terms of a cutoff
frequency below which words are considered infrequent. The cutoff would be
somewhat arbitrary and dependent on the purpose of the study (but there is
literature out there discussing this issue).

Best,

V. C. Mueller Gathercole
Professor of Linguistics
Coordinator PhD Program
Florida International University

http://vcmuellergathercole.weebly.com/index.html

*** SPECIAL OFFER to launch new books *Issues in the Assessment of
Bilinguals* and *Solutions for the Assessment of Bilinguals*, edited by V C
Mueller Gathercole and published by Multilingual Matters: 30% off:
http://www.channelviewpublications.com/specialoffers.asp?
[TOC at:
http://vcmuellergathercole.weebly.com/selected-publications-books.html]

Latest news from FIU's Linguistics Program:
http://linguisticshotnews.weebly.com

Information on FIU's recent Barbara Gordon Lecture and Linguistics
Festival, Mar. 6 & 7: http://linguisticshotnews.weebly.com