list of common words

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Jun 6 20:36:32 UTC 2014

It would be interesting to compare p-lex with voc-d.  The former, devised by Meara and Bell compares small samples against standardized corpora; the latter devised by Malvern, Richards, and colleagues, and implemented inside CLAN as the VOCD program focuses more on Monte Carlo estimation from small samples.  I wonder if anyone has ever attempted this interesting comparison.  The book describing VOCD is:

Malvern, D., Richards, B., Chipere, N., & Purán, P. (2004). Lexical diversity and language development. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.

Ngoni, given that you were a co-author on this book about VOCD, could you tell us why you think that p-lex might be more useful than VOCD for this purpose?

Many thanks,

--Brian MacWhinney