DELV for use with Jamaican Creole speakers

Barbara Z. Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Tue Mar 4 02:04:24 UTC 2014

Dear Kathleen,

As Tom Roeper indicated, I am happy to answer any questions about the DELV tests that I can.  Please write me with more details of the project you want to accomplish.

You might look into work by Janna Oetting of LSU.  She had an NIH grant to compare how well the DELV screener worked with speakers of different dialects, (but not Jamaican Creole).  I have a poster of hers with some results that she presented at a recent ASHA.  (Among other recommendations, she suggests that a ratio made from the scores on the Language Variation part of the DELV-ST was more "psychometrically robust" than the raw screener scores.  The poster refers you to a paper by Nicole Terry et al. 2010 that shows how to derive the ratio. (Jackson & Pearson also used a similar ratio in their papers on contrastive features.)

Jennifer Renn and *Mike* Terry have a 2009 paper in American Speech where they look at a variety of schemas for evaluating degree of dialect and found that a small set of features correlated highly with a larger set and was as effective as the larger set in measuring dialect.  Their findings may also be useful in guiding your thinking.

Meanwhile, please note that Oetting and her students' studies tend to use mostly the DELV Screening Test.  As a screening test, it is *designed* to err on the side of identifying too many individuals rather than failing to identify someone who would profit from a more comprehensive test.  The larger test, the DELV-NR, is relatively easy to administer and much more accurate.  Ondene van Dulm and Frenette Southwood, whom Tom mentioned, are getting a lot of data using the DELV-NR with several different language communities in South Africa.

Please share other responses you receive off-line.

Best wishes,
Barbara Pearson

Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D.
Research Associate
Co-director, Language Acquisition Research Center
c/o Linguistics, 226 South College
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst MA 01003

bpearson at research.umass.edu<mailto:bpearson at research.umass.edu>