professional video transcription?

Jan Edwards jedwards2 at wisc.edu
Tue Mar 4 18:29:12 UTC 2014

My point about transcribing AAE didn't have to do with prescriptive vs. descriptive. It's simply that you need native speakers to accurately transcribe the phonetics of a language. I say this after the experience of a cross-linguistic grant in L1 phonological acquisition across American English (MAE from Columbus, OH), Greek, Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Korean. All of our transcribers were trained phoneticians (linguistics or speech-language pathologists). We found that we could get accurate and transcriptions with high inter-rater reliability only when transcribers were both native speakers and trained phoneticians. More recently, we've found the same thing with AAE.

Jan