Validated Language exposure questionnaires for children growing up in a multilingual context

'Annick De Houwer' via Info-CHILDES info-childes at googlegroups.com
Fri Sep 12 14:47:18 UTC 2014

Dear all,

To add to this, may I refer you to a brief (3 p.) questionnaire I listed in
my 2009 textbook entitled "Bilingual First Language Acquisition" (pp.
333-336)? In a simple table format, this questionnaire asks (amongst
others) about the numbers of hours that caregivers estimate they spoke each
language with children in different periods of their lives (I attach the
manuscript version of the book appendix in which this questionnaire
appears). Having this "absolute" information available rather than "just"
relative estimates may be of relevance to bilingual development (see some
chapters in the forthcoming book "Input and Experience in Bilingual
Development", edited by Theres Grüter and Johanne Paradis,
https://www.benjamins.com/#catalog/books/tilar.13/main ). Of course you can
compute relative amounts on the basis of having the information in absolute
terms.

All the best,
Annick

Annick De Houwer
Professor of Language Acquisition and Multilingualism
University of Erfurt, Germany
annick.dehouwer at uni-erfurt.de