Studies training reference in children with ASD - under-informativity or over-informativity

Kirsten Abbot-Smith K.Abbot-Smith at kent.ac.uk
Tue Sep 23 05:43:06 UTC 2014

Hi there,
Does anyone know of any studies training verbal children or adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders in reference? I do not mind if the focus was preventing under- versus over-informativity (or both), whether the training was embedded in broader training (e.g. on 'conversation skills' or 'social skills'), whether the studies found or did not find significant differences post-intervention. Indeed, if a study actually aimed to train a different domain (e.g. Theory of Mind or Inhibitory Control) but this led to an improvement in appropriate use of linguistic reference, then I'd like to know about that study, too!

I have found surprisingly little for this topic with this population.

Many thanks in advance,
Kirsten

Dr. Kirsten Abbot-Smith
Lecturer in Developmental Psychology and Co-director of Kent Child Development Unit
University of Kent
Keynes College
Canterbury
CT2 7NP