Headset for young children in speech production experiments

Velde, D.J. van de d.j.van.de.velde at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Sep 25 17:26:20 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I'm planning a set of several minute long experiments in which I record trial-by-trial verbal responses of young children (3-7 y.o.). For instance, they name a picture or respond to a question.

I'm afraid the children will not always keep looking at the screen when responding. Therefore, a separate microphone would not be an option. A lapel microphone, although a bit better, is problematic for the same reason. Instead, I'm thinking of a headworn microphone (possibly combined with headphones). Does anybody have experience with using this type of microphone with children these ages? Does it distract them (more than just in the beginning)? Does it easily stay attached to the head? If you have positive experiences, could you recommend a specific brand or type?

Thank you very much for your help,
Daan van de Velde