'learning paths' instead of parameters

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sat Sep 27 04:04:00 UTC 2014

Fritz and John,

    The general idea that children follow learning pathways seems like a reasonable one.  However, the question is whether these pathways arise from preexisting universals or from the actual encounter of children with the specifics of language.  The example of a pathway that Fritz provided involved a gradual retreat from overgeneralization.  It had these four steps:
1. First s/he will assume that ALL phrases are head-final, even noun phrases.
2. Next s/he will assume that ALL NPs are head-initial
3. Next s/he will learn the class of exceptions to 2.
4. Finally, s/he will learn the purely idiosyncratic exceptions.

A pathway of this type is not in accord with the Subset Principle, because that principle is fundamentally conservative, always favoring the most narrow grammar.  In the pathway Fritz describes, the child starts out with a huge generalization and then has to retreat, possibly relying on negative evidence.

The idea that the child is fundamentally conservative crops up in many accounts.  For example, in my "Mechanisms of Language Acquisition" book from 1987, Fodor and Crain argued for conservatism in the form of the Subset Principle.  I argued for it in terms of my theory of item-based learning, and Berwick assumed it in his learning on error analysis.  The literature is full of evidence for conservatism from older work by Maratsos and Kuczaj to newer work by Lieven, Rowland, Ambridge, and colleagues.  In the area of lexical overgeneralization, there is similarly strong evidence for conservatism.

Of course, children are not always conservative.  Often they are missing forms and have to resort to overextension.  However, I can't think of any evidence for the type of raw overextension from the very beginning suggested by the learning pathway you propose.  Is there any empirical evidence for this?

Underspecification, as illustrated by the initial collective interpretation of distributive quantifiers such as "each" would seem to be a counterexample.  However, the conflict between distributive and collective interpretations is often a bit opaque in actual communicative contexts.

-- Brian MacWhinney