Spanish Learner Language Oral Corpus project (SPLLOC 1): A New Corpus of Oral L2 Spanish

Carlos Subirats carlos.subirats at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 6 22:53:19 UTC 2008

-------------------          INFOLING          --------------------

Enví­o de información: infoling-request at listserv.rediris.es
EDITORES:
Carlos Subirats Rüggeberg, UAB <carlos.subirats at uab.es>
Mar Cruz Piñol, U. Barcelona <mcruz at ub.edu>
Eulalia de Bobes Soler, U. Abat Oliba-CEU <debobes1 at uao.es>
Equipo de edición: http://elies.rediris.es/infoling/editores.html
Estudios de Lingüí­stica del Español (ELiEs): http://elies.rediris.es
es una red temática de lingüística del español asociada a INFOLING.

© Infoling, Barcelona (España) 1996-2008. Reservados todos los derechos

Infoling (1996-2008): 3.200 participantes en más de 50 países

Con el apoyo de Editorial Arco Libros
Consulta su catálogo de Lingüística, E/LE, Historia y Publicaciones periódicas:
http://www.arcomuralla.com/Arco/Shop/default.asp

Spanish Learner Language Oral Corpus project (SPLLOC 1): A New Corpus
of Oral L2 Spanish:
http://www.splloc.soton.ac.uk
Información de: Nicole Tracy-Ventura <N.Tracy-Ventura at soton.ac.uk>
distribuida por Linguist List:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/19/19-3377.html

We are happy to inform you of the completion of SPLLOC, a new corpus
of oral L2 Spanish, which has been collected by a team of researchers
at the universities of Southampton, Newcastle, and York in the UK.

The data have been transcribed using CHILDES conventions and are now
freely available in anonymised form through the project website
http://www.splloc.soton.ac.uk and Talkbank http://www.talkbank.org for
use in research and teaching.

The L2 oral Spanish data have been collected from classroom learners
in schools and universities in England, using a series of specially
designed elicitation tasks, including storytelling, picture
description, paired discussion and individual interview. There are 20
learners (L1 English) at each of 3 levels: beginners (Year 9 students
aged 13-14), intermediate (A2 students aged 17-18), and very advanced
students (fourth year undergraduates aged 20-21 majoring in Spanish).
Depending on their level, each learner was audio-recorded undertaking
between 3 and 5 oral tasks. A small number of native speakers was also
recorded undertaking the same tasks. The resulting database contains
290 digital soundfiles (240 learner recordings--168,776 words, and 50
native speaker recordings--37,238 words), the corresponding
transcripts and XML files. Some files also have an extra layer of
tagging which identifies parts of speech.

We are currently designing new tasks to collect more data to be added
to the database in the following year. This second phase of the
project focuses on the emergence and development of tense and aspect
in L2 Spanish.

If you use the corpus for your research, please let us know as we are
keen to learn how this resource is being utilized. We would also like
to reference any publications and conference presentations arising
from this corpus on our website. The SPLLOC project is funded by two
ESRC research grant awards (RES-000-23-1609 and RES-062-23-1075). For
any queries please contact Laura Dominguez, Project Director
<ldo at soton.ac.uk> or Nicole Tracy-Ventura, Postdoctoral Research
Fellow <N.Tracy-Ventura at soton.ac.uk>.

Please visit http://www.splloc.soton.ac.uk

Arco Libros: un editor que apoya a Infoling