Tesis doctoral: Fern ández-Rubiera, F. J. Clitics at the Edge: Clitic Placement in Western Iberian Romance Langu ages

INFOLING List infoling at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 15 04:51:10 UTC 2009

-------------------          INFOLING          --------------------

Enví­o de información: <infoling-request at listserv.rediris.es>
EDITORES:
Carlos Subirats Rüggeberg, UAB <carlos.subirats at uab.es>
Mar Cruz Piñol, U. Barcelona <mcruz at ub.edu>
Eulalia de Bobes Soler, U. Abat Oliba-CEU <debobes1 at uao.es>
Equipo de edición: http://elies.rediris.es/infoling/editores.html
Estudios de Lingüí­stica del Español (ELiEs): http://elies.rediris.es
es una red temática de lingüística del español asociada a INFOLING.

© Infoling, Barcelona (España) 1996-2009. Reservados todos los derechos

Infoling: información global sobre lingüística hispánica

Con el apoyo de Editorial Arco Libros
Consulta su catálogo de Lingüística, E/LE, Historia y Publicaciones periódicas:
http://www.arcomuralla.com/Arco/Shop/default.asp

Tesis doctoral:
Fernández-Rubiera, Francisco José. 2009. Clitics at the Edge: Clitic
Placement in Western Iberian Romance Languages. Georgetown University,
Department of Spanish and Portuguese.

1. Autor:
Francisco José Fernández-Rubiera

2. Título de la tesis:
Clitics at the Edge: Clitic Placement in Western Iberian Romance Languages
2.1. Número de págs.: 179
2.2. Palabras clave: Asturian, clitic enclisis, Finiteness, Phase,
Western Iberian

3. Fecha de defensa: April 16th, 2009

4. Departamento:
Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Georgetown University

5. Directores:
Héctor Campos y Elena Herburger

6. Línea de investigación:
Syntax and semantics/pragmatics

7. Resumen e índice:

This dissertation focuses on the distribution of pre- and postverbal
clitic alternations in both matrix and finite embedded environments,
in three Western Iberian Romance languages: Galician, European
Portuguese, and Asturian. The analysis of these clitic alternations in
Romance has a long tradition within the generative enterprise, and
different analyses have capitalized on different triggers to account
for those alternations.

In this study, I show that the inclusion of Asturian raises
interesting issues for analyses dealing with clitic placement
alternations. In short, while pre- and postverbal clitic patterns in
all Western Iberian Romance languages are subject to the same
conditions in the matrix environment, crosslinguistic differences
arise the moment one turns to the finite embedded one: In Asturian,
unlike in Galician and European Portuguese, postverbal clitics arise
obligatorily after a Topic in finite embedded contexts as that in (1).

(1) Repítote               [que yo dexélo                aquel
diecisiete de mayu]      Ast
     repeat1SG-youCL that  I    left1SG-IND-itCL that    sixteenth of  May
     “I repeat to you that I left it that May sixteenth”
     [de Pablo, Memoria]

Furthermore, speakers of a variety of Asturian which I refer to as
Conservative Asturian (CAst) report data as that in (2), where both a
post- and a preverbal clitic can be found. Interestingly, each pattern
correlates with a different interpretation.

(2) a. Digo     [qu’ayúdame]                      CAst
        say1SG that-help3SG-IND-meCL

     b. Digo      [que me     ayuda]
         say1SG that meCL help3SG-IND
         “I say that s/he helps me out”
         [From Viejo (2008)]

In this dissertation, I argue that pre- and postverbal clitic
alternations in Western Iberian Romance languages may be captured as
follows: in Western Iberian, Finitenessº (cf. Rizzi (1997)) is a
phase-head (cf. Chomsky (2008)) which (i) is responsible for the
different clitic patterns, and (ii) is the locus of crosslinguistic
variation in the finite embedded context. Under this analysis, I show
that both similarities in clitic alternations in the matrix context
and the noted variation in the finite embedded one in this group of
languages can be easily captured. Moreover, I claim that this analysis
can naturally explain the interpretation differences I observe between
a postverbal and preverbal pattern in (2a) and (2b).

Table of Contents

ABSTRACT
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
DEDICATION
TABLE OF CONTENTS
ABBREVIATIONS
INTRODUCTION AND OUTLINE OF THE DISSERTATION

CHAPTER 1: Post- and preverbal clitic alternations in the matrix
context in Western Iberian Romance languages and previous analyses
1.1. The matrix context: Post- and preverbal clitic alternations in WI languages
1.1.1. Postverbal clitics
1.1.2. Preverbal clitics
1.2. “Traditional approaches” to post- and preverbal clitic alternations in WI
1.2.1. Postverbal clitics and “traditional approaches”
1.2.2. Preverbal clitics and “traditional approaches”
1.2.3. A critique of “traditional approaches”
1.3. “Left-peripheral approaches” to post- and preverbal clitic
alternations in WI
1.3.1. Postverbal clitics and “left-peripheral approaches”
1.3.2. Preverbal clitics and “left-peripheral approaches”
1.3.3. A critique of “left-peripheral approaches”
1.4. Summary and conclusions

CHAPTER 2: The syntax of clitic placement alternations in the matrix
context in Western Iberian Romance languages
2.1. The cartographic preverbal field in Western Iberian Romance languages
2.1.1. The Frame field
2.1.2. The Topic field
2.1.3. The Focus field
2.1.4. Interim summary
2.2. Clitics in Western Iberian Romance languages as agreement affixes
2.3. Two further assumptions: [Spec, TP] and the phase status of Finitenessº
2.4. Clitic placement alternations in the matrix context in Western
Iberian Romance languages
2.4.1. Finº and postverbal clitics in the matrix context in WI
2.4.2. Finº and preverbal clitics in the matrix context in WI
2.5. Summary and conclusions

CHAPTER 3: The finite embedded context in Conservative Asturian
3.1. The finite embedded context in Conservative Asturian: The new data
3.1.1. New data (I): Obligatory postverbal clitics in Conservative Asturian
3.1.2. New data (II): Post- and preverbal clitics in Conservative Asturian
3.2. Pragmatic “conviction” and post and preverbal clitics in
Conservative Asturian
3.3. Selection of Forceº/Finº and pragmatic [±conviction] interpretation
3.4. The complementizer system in Conservative Asturian
3.5. Three predictions of the analysis
3.5.1. Postverbal clitics in the finite embedded context in CAst
3.5.2. Que1 and compatibility with left-peripheral material
3.5.3. Que2 and incompatibility with left-peripheral material
3.5.4. Interim summary
3.6. Further evidence: Explicative porque, wh-extraction and embedded
coordination
3.6.1. Explicative porque
3.6.2. Wh-extraction in CAst
3.6.3. Embedded coordination
3.7. Summary and conclusions

CHAPTER 4: Crosslinguistic variation in the finite embedded context in
Iberian Romance languages
4.1. Crosslinguistic variation in the finite embedded context in WI: The data
4.1.1. Crosslinguistic variation (I): Conservative and Modern Asturian
4.1.2. Crosslinguistic variation (II): Galician and European Portuguese
4.2. The complementizer system in Modern Asturian, Galician and
European Portuguese
4.2.1. The complementizer system in Modern Asturian
4.2.2. The complementizer system in Galician
4.2.3. The complementizer system in European Portuguese
4.3. Crosslinguistic variation in Western Iberian Romance languages:
Two sources of variation and consequences for “conviction”
4.3.1. Que1/que2 in Western Iberian Romance languages
4.3.2. The content of Finº in Western Iberian Romance languages and
“conviction” interpretation
4.3.3. Preverbal clitics in the finite embedded context in Modern
Asturian and ambiguity of pragmatic “conviction”
4.3.4. Summary and conclusions
4.4. Further evidence: Historical data and modern Spanish
4.4.1. Historical data from earlier stages of European Portuguese and
Old Spanish
4.4.2. The finite embedded context in modern Spanish
4.5. Overall conclusions and future research

Bibliography

8. Correo-e del autor: <torreastur at gmail.com>

9. Cómo obtener la tesis:
Contactar con autor

Arco Libros: un editor que apoya a Infoling