[language] Re: Sound Changes 5 t>l nor not

H.M. Hubey hubeyh at mail.montclair.edu
Tue Dec 3 22:20:56 UTC 2002

<><><><><><><><><><><><>--This is the Language List--<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

H.M. Hubey wrote:

> <><><><><><><><><><><><>--This is the Language
> List--<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>

> and the change of t to l, which as the renowned German philologist,
> Wilhelm Geiger has noted, took place through an intermediate d. This
> occured sometime between the 6th-10th centuries A.C.
>
>         Pali            Sinhala
>         putavi          polova (earth)
>         mata            mala (dead)

I do not believe that either. I think it was th > l, like in Hittite
tabarna/labarna and in many others.  Or the th was not
really that but more like the Circassian sounds e.g. the iron-worker in
their Nart Sagas has the name Tlepsh. The word
for iron is temir, tibira, etc and connected with heat e.g.,
temperature, tepid, tab, etc. So Circassian has the first syllable
e.g. tlep.

I cannot justify this except on the basis of nothing more than
"symmetry". See for example Van Fraazen "Symmetry and Science"
or something like it. Or Lord James Clerk Maxwell's fixing up the known
laws of electromagnetism on the basis of
symmetry.

Comments?

Copyrights/"Fair Use":  http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
The "fair use" exemption to copyright law was created to allow things
such as commentary, parody, news reporting, research and education
about copyrighted works without the permission of the author. That's
important so that copyright law doesn't block your freedom to express
your own works -- only the ability to express other people's.
Intent, and damage to the commercial value of the work are
important considerations.

You are currently subscribed to language as: language at listserv.linguistlist.org