[language] k>s

H.M. Hubey hubeyh at mail.montclair.edu
Tue May 7 23:27:58 UTC 2002

<><><><><><><><><><><><>--This is the Language List--<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I just read on Khazaria news the word "khagan" and the twin rulership
system and recalled the doublet in karachay-balkar "kaghun soghun"
which seems to me to be "kagan shogun". I can't tell how it got to
Japan (if it did), but it looks like it did.

And here is that k=s problem again. I also read in at least a few places

that t>s is common.

What I cannot tell is if k=s is really a case of t>k and t>s.

I would like a clear-cut historically observed precise example of
a k>s change in a single language, unperturbed by new language
learners.

Still looking. Can anyone point in some direction?

PS. Yusuf, here is why

The Sardinian-Latin case is like the izafet construction in Ottoman.
Officially Ottoman was Turkish but let's see and we can see why
the Sardinian-Latin case is not sufficient. I want a smoking gun.

Here are a few lines from Oztuna p. 180 vol 6

Shems-i  asr idi asrda shemsin
ZIlli memdud olur, zamani kasir
Tac-u tahtiyle fahreder beyler
Fahrederdi aninla tac-u serir.

Here are the "Turkish" words line by line

..idi  ...
...olur ...
... -eder beyler
...aninla... serir.

Even the word fahreder is not Turkish; that is like English
"make-perestroika"
(imagine it is a single word); is that English?

The point is that the Izafet construction (a morpological feature of
Ottoman)
is not Turkish at all and disappeared. It was not because the Turkmen
peasants (Turks!)
forgot it. It never existed in their language. It only existed in the
court Ottoman
language. So one cannot say that Ottoman Turkish "changed" to modern
Turkish
literally. Two related languages converged and parts of Ottoman just got
dumped.

I don't want too many unknowns. I want the smoking gun. I have no idea
what
Sardinian was like, and I have no ideas if what passes for Sardinian was
not
some local aberration used by Roman governors doing their duty in
Sardinia.
I have no idea what their (the peasants') language was like and how and
why
it changed. Besides Latin and Sardinian are not the same language.

--
M. Hubey

hubeyh at mail.montclair.edu
/\/\/\/\//\/\/\/\/\/\/http://www.csam.montclair.edu/~hubey

Copyrights/"Fair Use":  http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
The "fair use" exemption to copyright law was created to allow things
such as commentary, parody, news reporting, research and education
about copyrighted works without the permission of the author. That's
important so that copyright law doesn't block your freedom to express
your own works -- only the ability to express other people's.
Intent, and damage to the commercial value of the work are
important considerations.

You are currently subscribed to language as: language at listserv.linguistlist.org