[Lexicog] Lexicography Conf Thailand May 2004

Roderick Bovingdon roderick_bovingdon at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 00:09:50 UTC 2003

> Dear Mr/Dr(?) Migliazza,
>
> I will not be able to attend the Conference in May but, if appropriate, I
would very much like to participate by submitting a paper which can be read
by some other academic.

> My sphere of interest in lexicography at present is the development of
Maltraljan, an ethnolect which has evolved over several decades amongst the
Maltese migrants settled in Australia. Maltese of course is a Mediterranean
language of semitic and romance origins. But the large numerical
representation of migrants from Malta in Australia has had a considerable
impact upon this group's language. I have published at least two monographs
on this field of study as well as a major work entitled The Maltese Language
of Australia: Maltraljan published by Lincom Europa in Muenchen, Germany,
2001. The main body of this work is a select glossary compiled in dictionary
format.

> Regards,
>
> Roderick Bovingdon
>

> humanizing our civilization
> >From: "Brian Migliazza"
> >CC: "Kirk Person" ,"Doug Trick"
> >Subject: [Lexicog]  Lexicography Conf Thailand May 2004
> >Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 09:25:57 +0700
> >
> >Dear Everyone on this list,
> >
> >As a follow-up from Wayne Lehman's kind posting of this announcement,
below is some further information. The Linguistics Department at Payap
University (Chiangmai, Thailand) is hosting a "Lexicography Conference" in
May 2004, just after the Southeast Asian Linguistics Society meeting.
Contact persons are Brian Migliazza, Kirk Person, and Doug Trick. Most of
the presentations will probably be on Southeast Asian lexicography projects,
but we are open to other dictionary projects and also to general
presentations on lexicography theory. Please let me know if you would like
to attend.

> >Brian Migliazza
> >      Linguistics Department
> >      Payap University
> >      Chiangmai, Thailand
> >===============================================
> >Announcement
> >LEXICOGRAPHY CONFERENCE -- Thailand 2004
> >24-26 May 2004 -- Payap University, Chiangmai, Thailand
> >
> >Please email ABSTRACTS to Brian Migliazza
> >Note that this conference will be held right after the 19-21 May 2004
SEALS 14 conference at Thammasat University in Bangkok.

> >Speakers --
> >· Dr SUWILAI Premsrirat -- Khmu Dictionary and Thesaurus
> >· Dr. Kenneth SMITH -- Sedang Dictionary
> >· Dr Robert BAUER -- ABC Colloquial Cantonese-English Dictionary
> >· Dr. Kirk PERSON -- Report on "Dictionary Development Project" among the
Bisu
> >· Prof Doug Trick -- Serving as a Consultant to Dictionary Compilers
> >
> >Themes --
> >     * Feature Lectures by Plenary Speakers
> >     * Reports on Lexicographic Projects and Publications
> >     * Practical and Theoretical Aspects of Lexicography
> >     * Computational Lexicography
> >Venue -- Payap University (Mae Khao Campus)
> >Lodging -- at the Royal Lanna (in the Night Market area of Chiangmai) --
rates are 850 Baht (about US$ 22) per night including breakfast. This price
is for one or two people in a room. Please email royal_lanna at yahoo.com to
make your reservations.