[Lexicog] Field research based dictionaries

Crockett asigwan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 2 05:38:00 UTC 2004

Masha,

As for question 1, I would look at Toolbox or Shoebox software at:

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software_catalog.asp?by=all
<http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software_catalog.asp?by=all&n
ame> &name=

Those programs do take quite a bit of knowledge about computers, but
they are good programs for making dictionaries.

I think it might help to answer questions 2 and 3 if you go to:

http://www.sil.org/computing/shoebox/index.html

and then click on "Making Dictionaries" toward the bottom of the page.
You should be able to save that file to your computer for reference. It
will take you awhile to read through it.

As for question 4, you would need to study some books on that. There are
a couple that might interest you at:

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_catalog.asp?by=cat
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_catalog.asp?by=cat&name=Textbooks>
&name=Textbooks

Maybe you can find them in your linguistics library and wouldn't need to
buy them. If studies have already been done (regarding question 4), then
you of course should look at those or even use their results depending
upon the quality and nature of the work.

Good luck,
Crockett