[Lexicog] new nosey word

Preslav Ivanov Nakov nakov at EECS.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Apr 10 19:53:14 UTC 2004

Well, having 4 consonants does not necessarily occur at the beginning.
I think it is more typical in the suffixes, e.g. chuvstvo, where we have
"vstv". By the way, the same word exists in Bulgarian too. But I cannot
think of a Russian or Bulgarian example of 5 or more consonants in a raw and
I do not believe it would be possible to pronounce it unless an implicit
consonant is introduced (it is not, in the examples with 4 consonants).

There are also some groups of up to 3 consonants in a raw at the end of
Russian words, e.g. in the names of cities like Pskovsk (we have "vsk").
There are no such words in Bulgarian.

Preslav

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kirk [mailto:peterkirk at qaya.org]

On 10/04/2004 08:29, Mali Translation wrote:

> Peter,
>
> As you know Slavic languages, is it true that there are words
> in these languages that consist only of consonants (not just
> three but 7 to 10)?
> Can you give an example? Or can someone else?
>
> Fritz Goerling

Jan and Preslav have given better examples from Czech etc than I can
give from Russian. Russian words can start with some impressive
consonant clusters, e.g. in ?????? (vzgl'ad), but there is always a
vowel somewhere in the word, except for the one-consonant prepositions
which are phonetically prefixed to the following word. But a vowel is
inserted when the combinations get too hard even for Russians to
pronounce. Georgian is supposed to have much longer still initial
consonant clusters, but I can't confirm this.