[Lexicog] new nosey word

Preslav Ivanov Nakov nakov at EECS.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Apr 10 20:05:01 UTC 2004

How can one pronounce a word like "vlk"?
I see no way without putting a vowel somewhere. There are two options:

v'lk
vl'k

where ' stands for the place the vowel is put. Try "valk" and "vlak" to see
which one sounds closer to the pronunciation. That way you know where the
vowel appears.

It is the same with Serbian. The word "srbi" needs a vowel, e.g.
s'rbi or sr'bi. And this is a vowel that is otherwise banned from Czech for
some reason and is allowed only next to "r" and "l" (and in Russian, only
next to "y" in the special letter "eri").

Here is an example. I have been studying Czech 10 years ago and I remember a
particular word "zmrzlina" (ice cream). It is pronounced as zmr'zlina.
Compare to e.g. the incorrect "zm'rzlina". So you see there is a oarticular
place where the vowel appears. And in this particular case it not only
appears but it also takes the stress (the same with the case of srbi). If
there is no vowel there, who takes the stress?

Preslav