[Lexicog] new nosey word

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Sun Apr 11 19:57:06 UTC 2004

On 10/04/2004 17:59, Koontz John E wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Preslav Ivanov Nakov wrote:
>
> > How can one pronounce a word like "vlk"?
> > I see no way without putting a vowel somewhere. There are two options:
> >
> > v'lk
> > vl'k
> >
> > where ' stands for the place the vowel is put. Try "valk" and "vlak"
> to see
> > which one sounds closer to the pronunciation. That way you know
> where the
> > vowel appears.
>
> I don't know enough about Czech or Serbian to elucidate the detailed
> phonetics of either, but this is an old argument in linguistics.  I
> believe I can manage vlk, v<schwa>lk, and vl<schwa>k distinctively,
> without knowing if I approximate Czech in any case.  There are basicly two
> levels at which this argument can be fought - the phonetic and the
> phonological.  At the phonetic level it appears that any sound that is
> extendible can be the peak of sonority of a syllable, e.g., the range of r
> and l sounds, nasal "stops", fricatives, and stop releases.

English, or at least some dialects of it, also has syllabic L and R
sounds, as well as nasals. Try saying "bottled". I think everyone would
agree that this word has two syllables, but there is not really a
distinct vowel sound between the T and the L, and certainly none after
the L.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)